1. Run VMware Workstation, VMware player, or virtual box
2. Create a new vm and boot to the ESXi 5.0 cd
3. Make sure you pass the usb port to the VM
4. Install to the USB drive
5. When you are asked to reboot, turn off the VM and reboot your workstation
6. Get into your bios and put “boot from usb” high on the boot order
7. After you boot, you may have to reconfigure your management network settings.
8. Hop on another system and connect to your laptop using the vSphere client.
UPDATE: After the install, it will ask you to reboot. Make sure you reboot once and then shutdown otherwise no settings will be permanent. It’s really frustrating. 🙂 After the install I moved this USB to a proliant server I have and it worked flawlessly… ahem… the second time.